The Chronicles of The Best They Ever Had

Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved. -Acts 2:43-47

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Praise God

For those who remember Laura Gupton--fantastic counselor to several of us--"praise God" was a common phrase for her. Someone (although I don't remember who) who worked before us as well as with some of us told me one time that even when cleaning out the trashery, Laura would say "Praise God!"

This came to mind recently when I was thinking about being a servant and living in a mode of constant praise.

I've learned recently, or rather experienced recently, what it is to be so excited about God, not just at church or at camp or at an event, but to just be so excited about praising God for who He is that I had a hard time settling down to go to sleep at night. To be able to praise God in my room by myself but to also be able to praise God in the middle of a crowd as if I were by myself--that's my aim, and I'm definitely moving in that direction. Praise God.

God is also turning my compass toward more creative praise; God doesn't ask anymore than simple words, but how amazing it is to have a desire to find better ways to praise God! Brooke pointed me towards a Psalm the other day, and as I read it aloud I realized that I wanted to praise God in more ways, I wanted to have more ways to describe Him. I've always known that most of the Psalms are for praising God, but I am really coming to understand the power in praising God through a psalm.

An idea I want to share with you all is to find a psalm and just read it aloud, and read it like you mean it--really get into it. How powerful!

very excited too
Jordan M

2 Comments:

At 3/30/2005 9:42 AM, Blogger livetoshine said...

ahh isn't it so wonderful to be excited about God...I love how you talked about not being able to settle down at night because I definitely know what you are talking about, no neccesarily lately because I have been so exhausted when I hit the bed, but I can definitely recall times when I just couldn't sleep because God was just bubbling up inside me and it's so great.

hehe, yeah I think about Laura and she is definitely a model of a servant of God...that lady sure does have a heart for Jesus. Not neccesarily because of her constant "praise God" comments, but I think praising God is something I have also been being taught this year, especially just in regards to how much God has blessed me here and just in the everyday trying to make an effort to just really thank and praise Him.

Good times.

Praise God!

 
At 3/30/2005 3:57 PM, Blogger ME said...

I really aspire to be like Laura. She is so awesome and inspires me everytime i talk to her. She was my counselor the year before crystal. Just like all of you, im sure, I had laura and jesse that summer. Smiles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home